The toll pediatric cancer takes on patients and their families is profound.
Receiving treatment for cancer and blood disorders can keep patients and their families in the hospital for months on end, a process that takes a toll on them physically, emotionally and financially. Children must endure painful treatments and lengthy hospital stays while their families cope with unimaginable stress, anxiety and financial strain. It is a nightmare for the children, parents and siblings who must face this terrible disease. Your support of One Mission will ensure that children with cancer and their families receive the help they need at what is probably the most difficult time in their lives.
Why We Need Your Help
Just a few of the facts behind why we need your help:
- Every day, 43 children are diagnosed with cancer. The average age of diagnosis is 6.
- Childhood cancer occurs regularly, randomly and spares no ethnic group, socioeconomic class, or geographic region.
- Each year, the parents of approximately 15,700 kids will hear the words “your child has cancer.”
- The cause of most childhood cancers are unknown and at present, cannot be prevented.
- More than 40,000 children undergo treatment for cancer each year. The length of their treatment ranges from 3 months to 3 years.
- 60% of parents will have their employment status impacted due to one adult having to stop working or cut down on work during their child’s treatment.
- Families with children diagnosed with cancer are almost 3 times more likely to file bankruptcy.
*Source: Cure Search and the American Cancer Foundation